Mabel Rolf Collection
This collection came to the GKS as a box of approximately 70 photos that dated from 1863 to the mid-1930’s was donated to the Guilford Keeping Society by a member of the Rolf family. Edith Nettleton of the Guilford Free Library began to organize the contents of the box and left handwritten notes identifying many of the persons in these photos.
Mabel Hubbard Rolf (Mrs. Frederick H. Rolf) was born in 1884, the daughter of John Bartlett Hubbard & Eva Goldsmith Hubbard. The Rolfs lived at 276 Boston Street, Guilford, Connecticut.
Fred Rolf owned a Livery Stable on Water street where the town parking lot is now located, the Sachem’s Head Canning Company (later sold to Knowles-Lombard), and a feed & grain store.
The Rolf farm on Boston Street, near the present-day Bethel Assembly Church, extended north approximately to where Route 1 was cut through in 1929 and was one of the many locations that grew the tomatoes, squash and pumpkins needed for canning operations.
Mabel and Fred Rolf eventually developed the housing subdivision “Rolfs Gardens” in the 1950’s. Mabel Rolf died in 1966.
Among the photos in the box was a small album with a series of images depicting the aftermath of the 1934 snowstorm.
A note on Fred Rolf: “By the time he was 21, Frederick H. Rolf had purchased the Sachem’s Head Canning Company and a feed and grain store from Darwin N. Benton and was an established businessman on Water Street.... Mr. Rolf, also organized the Guilford Mutual Fire Insurance Company.” “Elected to the state legislature in 1905 and the state senate in 1917, Mr. Rolf continued to run the feed and grain store after he sold the canning business to Knowles-Lombard.”
Unidentified relative of Mabel Rolf