Norman Hall Postcard Collection

Description

The Norman Hall Postcard Collection contains about 660 postcards of Guilford that was donated to the GKS by Norman Hall’s sister, the Rev. Marjorie Hall Davis, in 2008. Many are antique and over a hundred years old.

Norman A. Hall (1938-2005) was born with spina bifida. Despite the weakness in his legs, he got around on crutches, and during the last ten years of his life he used a wheelchair, motorized scooter and a specially adapted van.

Norm’s summer home was on Vineyard Point in the Sachem’s Head section of Guilford, with a view of the lighthouse on Faulkner’s Island. He learned to swim at an early age and enjoyed water sports, especially boating. At age 12 he owned a dinghy with outboard motor. As an adult, he had a Boston Whaler runabout, and taught two generations of children to water ski. Watching the boats and ships on the Sound led him to establish an extensive collection of items associated with the sea: especially prints and postcards of lighthouses and old steamships and clippings on events that occurred on the Sound and Connecticut River and in towns on the Sound. He drove around Connecticut and New England fulfilling his love of history by collecting memorabilia at post-card club meetings and shows, historical societies and museums.

The Guilford Keeping Society created a 2016 calendar made with postcards from the Norman Hall collection.

Contributor

Davis, Rev. Marjorie Hall

Collection Items

Griswold House Museum, Colorized Postcard
Thomas Griswold III built this sturdy New England saltbox house on the knoll at 171 Boston Street in 1774 for his two youngest sons, John and Ezra. The dwelling was continuously owned and occupied by five generations of the Griswold family. It has…

Faulkner's Island, Colorized Postcard
"Built in 1802, Faulkner's Island Lighthouse is Connecticut's second oldest lighthouse tower, and is the only active light station on an island in the state. Faulkner's Island is about three and one half miles offshore from Guilford, Connecticut.…

Looking East on Broad Street, Colorized Postcard
Two horse and buggy carriages are the only traffic on the unpaved surface of Broad Street. Originally the site of a tavern, Nelson Griswold established his country store in the 1840s, which became a Guilford fixture known as Griswolds. Graceful elm…

Jones Bridge, Colorized Postcard
The south side of Jones Bridge, taken from the east bank of West River. Jones' Bridge is the 18th century name for the bridge and causeway over the West River and salt meadow on Rt. 146. It represented the closest waterway to downtown for loading and…

Tavern, West Side, Colorized Postcard
Medad Stone Tavern Museum – This Dutch Colonial house with three chimneys and ten fireplaces is one of the largest 19th century houses in Guilford. Medad Stone built it on 197 Three Mile Course in 1803, speculating that Boston Post Road would be…

Cranbrook Tower, Colorized Postcard
Cranbrook Tower is a cylindrical stone tower built in 1869 to supply water to the Chittenden estate at 1 Broad Street. The windmill was removed in 1927 after the town established its water system in 1915, the same year this card was postmarked. In…
View all 6 items