Browse Items (35 total)
A map of the working farms in Guilford. The date for this map is likely between 2003 (when Trout Lily farm was founded) and 2016 (when the map was pointed out to the GKS).

Thomas Griswold III built this sturdy New England saltbox house on the knoll at 171 Boston Street in 1774 for his two youngest sons, John and Ezra. The dwelling was continuously owned and occupied by five generations of the Griswold family. It has…
Before gas stations existed, drivers bought gasoline in canisters at general stores, such as Elisaph Butler's general store (now Page Hardware). The jeweler and optician Clarence C. Markham published and sold postcards, some of which appear in this…
The inscription on this photo reads "Oxen in front of the Edward Bishop House." Based on information on an Historic Resources Inventory form (see below) this home appears to be what is more commonly called the "Justin Bishop House" at 77 Nut Plains…
A history of the Goss Property relevant to the management of the East River Preserve.
This map, drawn by a famed local artist, indicates many of the traditional names for various areas and roads in Guilford and Madison.  The map references discussions of these areas in an associated book.

Robert and Eliot Davis loading a wagon with salt hay, probably at the foot of South Union St. Salt hay was an important agricultural crop in the 19th and early 20th centuries and was still harvested as late as 1976.  See Lindsay (1976) below.
The photo shows two features on the Green that are a long time gone: the white fence around the perimeter and the stately elm trees.  Helander (2008, 32) indicates that the fence was constructed in 1855, replacing a previous structure.  The fence was…
Tanner Marsh Road, looking south toward Clapboard Hill Road. The barns and house on the left are Maple Shade Farm, home of the Williams family (more recently, home of the Morasky family).
Elmer Wilcox and delivery wagon at Cloverdale Farm.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2