Browse Items (35 total)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/58df9d795a2d886515008095648e455d.jpg
The photo shows two features on the Green that are a long time gone: the white fence around the perimeter and the stately elm trees.  Helander (2008, 32) indicates that the fence was constructed in 1855, replacing a previous structure.  The fence was…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/c132b2ca7ea6f799b0c77413f4a609af.jpg
Joel Helander presents a lecture on Captain Oliver N. Brooks, who served as Light Keeper on Faulkner's Island from 1851 to 1882.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/7381ce29c4d6a0c2744abb8746169601.pdf
A history of the Goss Property relevant to the management of the East River Preserve.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/e79396847a77d9d18c8b05530d83cffd.jpg
The inscription on the photo reads "Heading Into Town on Boston Street with the Thomas Griswold House circa, 1905." The Griswold House is on the right of the photo. The photographer, Charles Hubbard, is a well known Guilford artist.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/0c45f8371dd1466e6627199616ed203e.jpg
Tanner Marsh Road, looking south toward Clapboard Hill Road. The barns and house on the left are Maple Shade Farm, home of the Williams family (more recently, home of the Morasky family).

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/c128c22eae443735ff18d84460af7909.jpg
Robert and Eliot Davis loading a wagon with salt hay, probably at the foot of South Union St. Salt hay was an important agricultural crop in the 19th and early 20th centuries and was still harvested as late as 1976.  See Lindsay (1976) below.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/34aba17467767bbea1c2a8eab2e6ca60.jpg
This map, drawn by a famed local artist, indicates many of the traditional names for various areas and roads in Guilford and Madison.  The map references discussions of these areas in an associated book.

Tags:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/bfd49821d54f42adc5fc8acd1f704c8c.jpg
The inscription on this photo reads "Oxen in front of the Edward Bishop House." Based on information on an Historic Resources Inventory form (see below) this home appears to be what is more commonly called the "Justin Bishop House" at 77 Nut Plains…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/e6272c65c57002c8eb3d9d998d8e2a51.jpg
Before gas stations existed, drivers bought gasoline in canisters at general stores, such as Elisaph Butler's general store (now Page Hardware). The jeweler and optician Clarence C. Markham published and sold postcards, some of which appear in this…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/018749b77df2490da8ca091a82ea133f.jpg
Thomas Griswold III built this sturdy New England saltbox house on the knoll at 171 Boston Street in 1774 for his two youngest sons, John and Ezra. The dwelling was continuously owned and occupied by five generations of the Griswold family. It has…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2