Browse Items (35 total)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/d4c906953b4a5359b7237f365f9a10ee.jpg
Guilford notables gather around driver education car at Guilford High School (now the Adams Middle School)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/ec268ebbd7becd8c096b34716aaa3459.jpg
It is believed that the man on the right is Clare Potter. The identity of the boy on the left is less certain, but it may be Dan Rossiter. Mr. Potter, who lived in North Guilford, was famed for sharing his knowledge of farming with the younger…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/b4cd1a3427d31a5e3e234a58b05b6c48.jpg
"Built in 1802, Faulkner's Island Lighthouse is Connecticut's second oldest lighthouse tower, and is the only active light station on an island in the state. Faulkner's Island is about three and one half miles offshore from Guilford, Connecticut.…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/018749b77df2490da8ca091a82ea133f.jpg
Thomas Griswold III built this sturdy New England saltbox house on the knoll at 171 Boston Street in 1774 for his two youngest sons, John and Ezra. The dwelling was continuously owned and occupied by five generations of the Griswold family. It has…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/cc0dec25da033a2459c1d67e318160d0.jpg
"Andrew Eliot, a merchant, built this house, lived in it for about twenty years, then traded houses with his brother Samuel, who lived in it another twenty years, bequeathing it to his son William. The house’s most distinguished feature, which stands…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/c128c22eae443735ff18d84460af7909.jpg
Robert and Eliot Davis loading a wagon with salt hay, probably at the foot of South Union St. Salt hay was an important agricultural crop in the 19th and early 20th centuries and was still harvested as late as 1976.  See Lindsay (1976) below.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/c455aab6695606d418747f8b2ecad94e.pdf
"Historic and Architectural Resources Inventory For the Town of Guilford, Connecticut Phase II Supplemental Survey"  The Guilford Preservation Alliance received at the end of 2014 a grant in the amount of $30,000 from the State Department of Economic…

Tags:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/34aba17467767bbea1c2a8eab2e6ca60.jpg
This map, drawn by a famed local artist, indicates many of the traditional names for various areas and roads in Guilford and Madison.  The map references discussions of these areas in an associated book.

Tags:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/463389f85437b45143408ecbde038861.jpg
The south side of Jones Bridge, taken from the east bank of West River. Jones' Bridge is the 18th century name for the bridge and causeway over the West River and salt meadow on Rt. 146. It represented the closest waterway to downtown for loading and…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/798768da6d4f8c2b2717e91ea776f790.jpg
Two horse and buggy carriages are the only traffic on the unpaved surface of Broad Street. Originally the site of a tavern, Nelson Griswold established his country store in the 1840s, which became a Guilford fixture known as Griswolds. Graceful elm…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2