Browse Items (35 total)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/58df9d795a2d886515008095648e455d.jpg
The photo shows two features on the Green that are a long time gone: the white fence around the perimeter and the stately elm trees.  Helander (2008, 32) indicates that the fence was constructed in 1855, replacing a previous structure.  The fence was…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/fc74d75e84c6391b4617ab61318bab67.pdf
In 1981, the Guilford Preservation Alliance (GPA) completed a survey of 450 buildings then more than fifty years old and considered to be of architectural significance (Survey of the Historic Architecture of Guilford, Conn.). A copy of this…

Tags:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/ad094e8035a73a8eeca9d063a6176f47.JPG
A map of the working farms in Guilford. The date for this map is likely between 2003 (when Trout Lily farm was founded) and 2016 (when the map was pointed out to the GKS).

Tags:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/8b3b7961d3beb22e4813d1611a36dce2.jpg
Bird's-eye of Guilford, CT 1881
The Methodist Church, Congregational Church, and Episcopal Church face the green in the center of town. Houses and commercial buildings face the tree-lined streets. Several small factories with smokestacks are located…

Tags:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/7b962e8c5c29b694b07a024369112c34.pdf
A history of the Guilford Fair by Guilford Town Historian Joel Helander

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/048b1bcdc9285a466448dd3234fb8705.jpg
Looking north along the west side of Whitfield Street from near the intersection of Whitfield and Water Streets. The shops include Monroe's Drug Store, the Post Office, Towne Shoe Repair, a Bakery, a Barber Shop, and the Guilford Food Center.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/6352af8f0ca56ede1fc62f583612f3f2.jpg
Water Street, east of Wild Rose Avenue, looking east towards town center. The home on the left of the photo no longer exists. Another home has been built on this property at 373 Water Street.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/c94df25d8fa07dbfb83bbafead656a08.jpg
Medad Stone Tavern Museum – This Dutch Colonial house with three chimneys and ten fireplaces is one of the largest 19th century houses in Guilford. Medad Stone built it on 197 Three Mile Course in 1803, speculating that Boston Post Road would be…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/9b766795177762d6388579a4cfae25b3.jpg
Grocery shopping with a horse-drawn sleigh in downtown Guilford after a 1934 snow storm. A massive coastal storm hit eastern Connecticut on Tuesday, February 20, 1934. After the storm, William Dudley took Clapboard Hill women downtown to pick up…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/283c125d3841d1cea05536de7aa0c434.jpg
The first Sachem’s Head Hotel was built by Nathanial Griffing in 1832 and was expanded in 1835. Fire destroyed the hotel in 1865, leaving an empty space until the Barker Hotel was built in 1878. After Albert Sperry bought the building in 1895, he…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2