Browse Items (35 total)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/9b766795177762d6388579a4cfae25b3.jpg
Grocery shopping with a horse-drawn sleigh in downtown Guilford after a 1934 snow storm. A massive coastal storm hit eastern Connecticut on Tuesday, February 20, 1934. After the storm, William Dudley took Clapboard Hill women downtown to pick up…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/19bf553379eab63c045b4047a240e2d1.jpg
Douden’s Drug Store and Wolozin’s 5 & 10 This photo of the west side of the Guilford Green was taken sometime between 1950 and 1961. The building on the right is 57 Whitfield Street and has been a town landmark since the 1920’s. While it has…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/d4c906953b4a5359b7237f365f9a10ee.jpg
Guilford notables gather around driver education car at Guilford High School (now the Adams Middle School)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/350feeb97bf8484a798feea92dbbef5c.jpg
Town and city atlas of the State of Connecticut.

Tags:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/048b1bcdc9285a466448dd3234fb8705.jpg
Looking north along the west side of Whitfield Street from near the intersection of Whitfield and Water Streets. The shops include Monroe's Drug Store, the Post Office, Towne Shoe Repair, a Bakery, a Barber Shop, and the Guilford Food Center.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/2f4482c85be7a631926620b888d7a2f4.jpg
Cranbrook Tower is a cylindrical stone tower built in 1869 to supply water to the Chittenden estate at 1 Broad Street. The windmill was removed in 1927 after the town established its water system in 1915, the same year this card was postmarked. In…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/c94df25d8fa07dbfb83bbafead656a08.jpg
Medad Stone Tavern Museum – This Dutch Colonial house with three chimneys and ten fireplaces is one of the largest 19th century houses in Guilford. Medad Stone built it on 197 Three Mile Course in 1803, speculating that Boston Post Road would be…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/cc0dec25da033a2459c1d67e318160d0.jpg
"Andrew Eliot, a merchant, built this house, lived in it for about twenty years, then traded houses with his brother Samuel, who lived in it another twenty years, bequeathing it to his son William. The house’s most distinguished feature, which stands…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/463389f85437b45143408ecbde038861.jpg
The south side of Jones Bridge, taken from the east bank of West River. Jones' Bridge is the 18th century name for the bridge and causeway over the West River and salt meadow on Rt. 146. It represented the closest waterway to downtown for loading and…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/018449f8d13f16736b622f367962766b.tif
An 1850s map of Guilford showing various districts and landmarks, The Petersen Collection at the Homer Babbidge Library is comprised of negative photostats of maps of New England villages from a variety of atlases. The specific provenance of this map…

Tags:

Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2