Douden’s Drug Store and Wolozin’s 5 & 10

Subject

People in photo are not identified

Description

Douden’s Drug Store and Wolozin’s 5 & 10

This photo of the west side of the Guilford Green was taken sometime between 1950 and 1961. The building on the right is 57 Whitfield Street and has been a town landmark since the 1920’s. While it has housed a few businesses, it has always been known as “Douden’s Drug Store,” after its original owner and function.

The building on the left at 63 Whitfield Street will only be familiar to those who knew Guilford before 1961, when this structure was lost to fire. At the time of its destruction, the first floor of this building housed the M.W. “5 & 10” owned by Morris Wolozin.

Date

195X-XX-XX

Contributor

Jonathan Wuerth

Identifier

P-386

Coverage

Cars
Shops
The Green

Spatial Coverage

Whitfield Street
The Green
South West District of the Village Center
Borough of Guilford
Town Center Local Historic District
Guilford Historic Town Centre as listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Area_6 - Between Rt 1 and Rt 146, East of River Street
Guilford, Connecticut
Guilford, CT
See http://gks.omeka.net/structured-searches for definitions of these location categories and guidance on searching this site

Files

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/19bf553379eab63c045b4047a240e2d1.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/6b118f4832ace2a3bc5b92fc3c9c8742.jpg

Citation

“Douden’s Drug Store and Wolozin’s 5 & 10,” Guilford Keeping Society Archives, accessed July 14, 2020, http://gksarchives.org/items/show/2.