The Green with White Fence and Elm Trees

Description

The photo shows two features on the Green that are a long time gone: the white fence around the perimeter and the stately elm trees.  Helander (2008, 32) indicates that the fence was constructed in 1855, replacing a previous structure.  The fence was removed in August, 1899 and the Green has been unenclosed since.  Dutch Elm Disease had become a major threat to the health of the trees on the Green by 1924 and the great hurricane of 1938 uprooted many of the oldest specimens.

Date

1885-12-DD

Rights

Copyright 2015, Guilford Keeping Society. Access to the original print and the high resolution digitized version by permission of the Guilford Keeping Society Library Committee at P.O. Box 363, Guilford, CT 06437, 203-453-2263

Format

High res picture: 120 dpi or greater (this resolution is shown in the cropped out-take). Low res picture: 72 dpi (this is shown in the larger photo on this page).

Identifier

P-XXXX

Coverage

Churches
Historical Homes
Monuments
Shops
The Green

Conforms To

"Town Center Local Historic District" and the "Historic Town Center, National Register of Historic Places"

Is Part Of

North East District of the Village Center

Is Referenced By

Helander, Joel Eliot (2008) “A Treasury of Guilford Places,” published by author ISBN 97809356 (ISBN13: 9780935600), pp 18 - 51

Spatial Coverage

Broad Street 
Park Street
Route 77 (Rt 77)

See http://gks.omeka.net/structured-searches for definitions of these location categories and guidance on searching this site

1868 District Name

North East District of the Village Center

Local and National Historic Districts

Town Center Local Historic District and Guilford Historic Town Centre as listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Files

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/58df9d795a2d886515008095648e455d.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/5c9044857d1dfe08ed6a4b81c5d90f93.jpg

Citation

Bryan, Harriet Hunt, “The Green with White Fence and Elm Trees,” Guilford Keeping Society Archives, accessed August 11, 2020, http://gksarchives.org/items/show/28.