Oxen at Bishop House on Nut Plains Road


The inscription on this photo reads "Oxen in front of the Edward Bishop House." Based on information on an Historic Resources Inventory form (see below) this home appears to be what is more commonly called the "Justin Bishop House" at 77 Nut Plains Road. The following is from that inventory form:

"Justin Bishop (1794-1869) inherited this property in the distribution of his father's estate in 1840, but his house had already been built on it in 1836. He was married to Mary Davis. When he died, he left the property to her and his son Edward L. Bishop. After Edward died in 1927, his widow Sarah J. Bishop sold the farm as 50 acres with buildings to Charles and Christina Nugent. Later owners were William J. Mosher, Louis Gagliardi, Charlotte D. Thurston, Nicholas D. Roberts, Gennaro Acampora, and John V. Robinson. The Robinsons managed the still 50 acre farm until they subdivided a large amount near Goose Lane which is now "Robinson's Woods" on Deer Lane (east of the property)."




Copyright 2015, Guilford Keeping Society. Access to the original print and the high resolution digitized version by permission of the Guilford Keeping Society Library Committee at P.O. Box 363, Guilford, CT 06437, 203-453-2263


Historic Resources Inventory form from The Guilford Preservation Alliance


High res picture: 120 dpi or greater (this resolution is shown in the cropped out-take). Low res picture: 72 dpi (this is shown in the larger photo on this page).


Farm Animals
Historic Homes

Spatial Coverage

77 Nut Plains Road


Hubbard, Charles D.

1868 District Name

North East District of the Village Center

Location Based on Modern Roads

(4) Between Rt 80 and Rt 1, East of Rt 77




Hubbard, Charles D., “Oxen at Bishop House on Nut Plains Road,” Guilford Keeping Society Archives, accessed November 24, 2020, http://gksarchives.org/items/show/32.