Boston Street at the South End of the Green, Colorized Postcard

Description

Before gas stations existed, drivers bought gasoline in canisters at general stores, such as Elisaph Butler's general store (now Page Hardware). The jeweler and optician Clarence C. Markham published and sold postcards, some of which appear in this archive, in the three-story commercial building he had built in 1902.

Date

190Y-MM-DD

Contributor

Davis, Rev. Marjorie Hall

Rights

Copyright 2015, Guilford Keeping Society. Access to the original print and the high resolution digitized version by permission of the Guilford Keeping Society Library Committee at P.O. Box 363, Guilford, CT 06437, 203-453-2263

Format

High res picture: 120 dpi or greater (this resolution is shown in the cropped out-take). Low res picture: 72 dpi (this is shown in the larger photo on this page).

Coverage

Shops
The Green

Spatial Coverage

Boston Street
Route 146 (Rt 146)

Photographer/Artist

Unknown artist/author

1868 District Name

South West District of the Village Center

Local and National Historic Districts

(1) "Town Center Local Historic District"

Location Based on Modern Roads

(7) South of Rt 146 (or south of that portion of Rt 1 that is east of the intersection with Rt 146)

Files

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/e6272c65c57002c8eb3d9d998d8e2a51.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/da9182974cf7f4bb004ccbd9a17b5c27.jpg

Citation

Unknown artist/author, “Boston Street at the South End of the Green, Colorized Postcard,” Guilford Keeping Society Archives, accessed October 29, 2020, http://gksarchives.org/items/show/33.