Griswold House Museum, Colorized Postcard
Thomas Griswold III built this sturdy New England saltbox house on the knoll at 171 Boston Street in 1774 for his two youngest sons, John and Ezra. The dwelling was continuously owned and occupied by five generations of the Griswold family. It has been maintained by The Guilford Keeping Society since 1958. The Slippery Elm, popularized as the Gateway to Guilford, ultimately succumbed to the installation of trolley tracks on Boston Street which caused extensive root damage to this once so prestigious symbol of Guilford.
This photo is looking northeast on Boston Street, at the intersection with Lovers' Lane.