Cranbrook Tower, Colorized Postcard
Cranbrook Tower is a cylindrical stone tower built in 1869 to supply water to the Chittenden estate at 1 Broad Street. The windmill was removed in 1927 after the town established its water system in 1915, the same year this card was postmarked. In World War II and 1955, the de-commissioned tower served as an aircraft observation post and was manned day and night by civic “spotters.”
This postcard was postmarked 1915. Another postcard of this type was shown on eBay with a postmark date of 1908.
Is Referenced By
Brown McCulloch, Sarah (2006) “Guilford: A Walking Guide, the Green & Neighboring Streets.” revised, with editorial notes from 2012. http://guilfordpreservation.org/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/a_walking_guide_rev.pdf
Helander, Joel Eliot (2008) “A Treasury of Guilford Places,” published 2008 by Joel E. Helander ISBN 97809356 (ISBN13: 9780935600), pp 63-64
1 Broad Street (address of Cranbrook Estate)
South West District of the Village Center
Borough of Guilford
Historic Town Center as listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Area_6 - Between Rt 1 and Rt 146, East of River Street
See http://gks.omeka.net/structured-searches for information on these location categories and searhing this site.