Guilford Motor Co.

Description

"Andrew Eliot, a merchant, built this house, lived in it for about twenty years, then traded houses with his brother Samuel, who lived in it another twenty years, bequeathing it to his son William. The house’s most distinguished feature, which stands out in every old photograph and immediately identifies it, is the admirable Greek Revival portico which was added probably in the 1840s. Here you see small, unfluted Tuscan columns used with delicate ornamentation. In 1931 the property was acquired by the Lazareviches along with their new automobile showroom next door.... They built a garage in the back, moved the gas pumps to the sidewalk in front, and tastefully converted the house for mixed commercial and residential use."
-- Description from the Guilford Preservation Alliance (see below)

Date

195X-XX-XX

Coverage

Cars & trucks
Historical Homes
Shops
The Green

Spatial Coverage

23 Boston St 
Route 146 
Rt 146 
The Green 
Borough of Guilford 
Area_7 - South of Rt 146 (or south of that portion of Rt 1 which is east of the intersection with Rt 146) 
South East District of the Village Center  
Town Center Local Historic District
Guilford Historic Town Centre as listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Guilford, Connecticut 
Guilford, CT

See http://gks.omeka.net/structured-searches for definitions of these location categories and guidance on searching this site

Files

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/cc0dec25da033a2459c1d67e318160d0.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/25975/archive/files/ee7be6d327705251e17b9fa0b166f52d.jpg

Citation

“Guilford Motor Co.,” Guilford Keeping Society Archives, accessed October 29, 2020, http://gksarchives.org/items/show/8.